North Milliken Avenue Grade Separation
The North Milliken Avenue Grade Separation project was constructed to replace the existing at-grade crossing at Milliken Avenue between Airport Drive and Guasti Road in Ontario, California. The replacement structure consisted of a 170-foot long two-span steel plate girder bridge to elevate the existing UPRR tracks approximately 30 feet above the existing grade crossing. The project included approximately 6,000 linear feet of embankment fill with gravity-type retaining systems constructed with T-WALL precast concrete units. Other improvements included widening and reconstruction Milliken Avenue, construction of curb and gutter, sidewalks and traffic signal modifications.
IFE was retained to provide the following materials testing services.
- Gradation and direct shear testing of the T-WALL backfill to verify material uniformity
- Testing and observation of fill placement in the widening areas, roadway subgrade and base courses, utility backfill, associated sidewalk paths, curb and gutter, and other appurtenances
- Laboratory soil and Class 2 aggregate base testing for maximum density, sand equivalent, sieve analysis, R-value, and specific gravity
- Concrete compression tests
- Concrete batch plant inspection